Leaves of Life

Cigar factory PD Taru Martani is one of the many surviving historical icons in tradition-steeped Yogyakarta.

In a place known better for its cigarettes, PD Taru Martani is the country’s oldest and the largest cigar maker. Built in 1918 under the name N.V. Negresco by a Dutch company Mignot & De Block Cigar Company. After World War II, the factory was taken over by the late Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX and renamed Taru Martani, a Javanese term for the leaves of life. Continue reading

Advertisements